Tuesday 11 January 2011

On Saturday 18th December 2010 we went to some steam railway near (or in) Tenterden (I don't know where, I just do as I'm told). I had gone to the gym bright and early that morning and the weather was clear but cold. When I got home and was getting all set to go out again, Ellie came and said "It's snowing outside." And I did the bad parent thing and said "Don't be silly, it's cold but clear." Imagine my surprise when in about 20 minutes we had a couple of inches of snow. I looked out and realised that I would be travelling quite a distance in snow and it had no sign of letting up.

So, throughout the journey to pick up Jo's Mother and her boyfriend, the snow continued to come down. We then drove to Tenterden following a sat-nav that took us down every country track it could find and the snow continued to come down. We had a great day there. Snowy train journey through the countryside and Ellie got to meet Santa and go on a carousel. Even had her photo taken with a Snow-Princess. It stopped snowing just as we were about to leave.


So we started back the way we came, having enough fun just getting out of the car-park. We had a few hairy moments sliding on the snow but most of the issues were other people not understanding how to drive on snow. People trying to get up hills in first gear and wondering why their wheels have no traction. It took us two hours to get back from Sittingbourne because people were driving at 25mph despite the lane they were on being clear of snow. This meant driving over a ridge of snow to get into a snow compacted overtaking lane and then crossing back over the ridge of snow to the lane that was clear of snow every time I came across someone doing 25mph.

No comments: