Thursday 21 May 2015

Determination and willpower come in steps.

Intermittent fasting:
It has to be said that this is one of the best ways of losing weight but also one of the most trickiest to keep as a life-style change.  It does impact adversely on just about everyone's social life, especially if you have a social life that revolves around food.  Likewise, working a rotating shift pattern does make it more difficult too.  If you can use this method together with your life-style then great.  The second hurdle is riding past the natural hunger you get 1 hour after eating.  If you can ride through that, then the hunger subsides as your insulin levels then balance out.  If I was single and didn't have such impactive shifts to work, this would be my chosen method and showed great results.

Fitbit Flex and a Diabetic Diet:
So, I got the Fitbit Flex a while back now and have been wearing it almost non-stop and apart from nights/days where I have had to put it onto charge, I have been tracking my sleep as well.  This has given me insight into my sleep patterns (or lack of) together with how much exercise I do (or not enough as the case may be).  It should be pointed out that this is clearly designed for the US market as the UK food database pales in comparison to MyFitnessPal.com.  It is possible to link your MyFitnessPal.com account to your Fitbit account however, food entered on MyFitnessPal will show on Fitbit as a summary and not a detailed list.  e.g. Toast entered on MyFitnessPal shows on Fitbit as Breakfast Summary(MyFitness... and then the stats.  It would be really nice if the two fully communicated with each other but hey, they both have their own business models in place.  Well, I have diabetes waiting for me just around the corner and it is without doubt that unless I get my weight down soon, the choice will be taken out of my hands and my options severely limited.  The organisation that I work for will invariably throw me to the wolves if I get diabetes.  I have absolutely no faith in them to look after my best interests or welfare and with that in mind, I am adopting a near diabetic diet now.  This means not eating chocolate, sweets, cakes or biscuits.  This has inevitably resulted in a huge drop in my calories that I am consuming on a daily basis.  I am routinely eating less that 1700 calories each day and the weight loss is slow but steady.  When I get to my ideal weight, I may have the occasional chocolate or sweet treat but I will have to integrate this into my diet.  So far, I have got my weight down to 15stone 7 lbs (217lbs 98.4Kg) thus I still have a way to go.

Determination and Willpower:
This is where just about everyone falls down.  We all know, deep down, why we are overweight.  I have enough intellectual honesty to not fool myself into thinking it is because I have a slow metabolism or that I have a glandular problem.  The issue is really simple, I eat more than I exercise.  The answer is just as simple for everyone, eat less and exercise more.  I'll acknowledge that slow metabolisms and glandular problems are contributing factors and likewise, I know that some medication has the side effect of causing weight-gain but the simple fact is that if you burn more calories than you consume, your body has to attack your fat reserves for the extra energy requirements.  A slow metabolism simply means that you need to eat even less.  People who say that you need to eat more to speed up your metabolism will not be able to point you towards any study that shows this and you only have to look at the starving children in other countries to see that lack of food not increased food causes weight-loss.  Lets all accept that we know how to lose weight and that the actual issue here is putting into practice the theory that we know.  This is where I have been quite fortunate.  I have a very obstinate personality.  Tell me that my goals are unrealistic or impossible and I'll prove you wrong.  Give me a big enough lever and a hard place to stand, and I will move the world.  With this in mind, I was talking about my goals and that my Fitbit had told me that my goal is achievable by the end of October and I was told "That's not possibe."  I am willing to accept that it would be difficult.  I am willing to accept that it would be tight.  However, like F will I accept that it is impossible.  Never give up, never surrender!  So I have a determination in my heart now that motivates my diet and exercise with a solid conviction.  I will do it.  It is achievable and is not impossible.

No comments: